Saturday, September 12, 2009

Some Saturday reminiscences on septic tanks


The guys have gone for the weekend and if i climb the heap of equipment dumped in the shed's doorway, I can get at least my pump sprayer to hit some of the weeds out front with something lethal. I wish i could get the thing mulched. Need to get busy with the stones I had a guy dump all around the dive here soon and some other lansdscaping i dont really have the energy for doing. But Labor Day is past now and summer is really over here so it's time to get the place set down for winter I guess.
There's a tangle of Japanese privet out under the big tulip poplar that has a big rose bush climbing out the middle of the woody weed. Its like 'Dr Van Fleet'- i would have called it 'New Dawn' earlier this year- with its flush of familiar shell pink small double blooms, but its never thrown any more flowers after late May so i think it has to be the Dr. I reckon the next time a back hoe's on site they may as well dig out the whole mess. I had entertained thoughts of working the rose up the the tree trunk and slowly killing off the privet, but its not really worth the effort for a rose that's not in a good spot anyway and doesnt re-bloom. Anyway, there's enough stuff in pots here i want to grow off that needs planted and another shovel has walked away it seems so better to wait around and think for now.

I keep thinking of the first week in the place back in '04. After 5 days occupancy the septic tank was backing up into the drains in the second floor bath in 10. I couldn't believe I had filled a 1000 gal tank and opened he yellow pages to AAA Septic Service. Now, I made efforts to learn the location of the tank from the seller Kim Watkins and her agent Apple Valley
Realty on Chimney Rock Rd. Both had assured me they had no idea where it was and implied i neednt worry. with foul black water filling my tub I called the Watkins woman again from a number in information. apparently she was off spending the proceeds of the sale. But Troy the septic pumper at AAA soon arrived. I told him i had no idea where the tank was, but he shocked me with the announcement that he had been on the property a month ago to pump the tank and showed me where the thing sat at the corner of the house. Not a great beginning here but we have persisted.

Our little cabin compound now boasts an elaborate 2 tank system that pumps effluent up ont0 the vacant lot we own. I was told that Henderson Count, NC had no regulation of any sort of water or septic systems until 1977 and seeing the kitchen sin and washers draining directly into the yard, I believed that. Apparently the county felt a need to show that its now tough on water matters and an erratically enforced set of water and septic regulations. On paper, these codes were diligently enforced and awe were sent back at least twice to have an engineer submit revised septic plans for the property. In the County offices the ditch my neighbors heap with 'landscape debris' (garbage) is a public waterway and treated in the county's halls lie some fragile coastal estuary. Why not? They dont pay the engineer to draw up suitable plans-- its on the home owner. Now- installation was another story and after finding a tank sitting next to the outdoor fireplace in unoccupied number 10, as well as half out of the ground on one trip I made back here, the thing was eventually relocated well inside the set back from the water way and mirabile dictu it passed the county's inspection process just fine.

Apparently here in Henderson County- its not how you follow the code but who your daddy had babies with that will make or break your construction plans and woe to any "outsider' who might buy property and attempt to improve it. I guess we should have stayed in one of the gated communities with all the seniors from FL. Funny how the septic sits in the very place we were told over and over it could not be and the AC receptacles in the little house are full of combustibles that even a blind inspector would have failed and the house didnt even have positive drainage when it got a CO. I guess i ought go try and marry into one of the inspectors families to expedite things here.

No comments:

Post a Comment